Free dating sites are fun, but make sure you're safe...
- Online dating is great fun, but there are a
few things that
you should pay attention to if you sign up for a free dating site
- Don’t give out any personal details to anyone until you
certain you can trust them. Remember, everyone is a stranger
- Don’t believe peoples sob stories. If they want to tell you
something about their history that’s painful to them, ask yourself why
telling you - a stranger.
- Don’t pay any attention to people who ask you to use other messaging methods such as Facebook or MSN until you are certain you can trust them. People who ask you to go onto another service to chat will usually do so to try and get you to eventually pay for other services.
- Beware of dating sites that sell themselves
as “free to join”.
This essentially means it’s free for you to give your details but cough
you want to message anyone.
- Out of principle, if a dating site that advertises itself as
‘free’ charges you to send messages to people, remove yourself from
website quickly and don’t go back. As far as I’m concerned, that’s
misrepresenting a sale and the internet needs more policing of websites
- Don’t use dating sites that don’t format
correctly in your browser
or look like they have been created by an amateur – they probably
- Don’t believe all the false glossy pictures
of happy couples
advertised on the home pages of some dating sites and ask yourself why
show genuine people.
- Be considerate when chatting and messaging other people
online because they will be just as anxious and nervous as you. Don’t be
to them even if they do not respond.
- Ignore pervy and blunt messages from people. They are
probably sending the same messages to lots more.
- Beware of the ‘cam girl’ spammers who pretend to befriend
you then ask you to watch them online at a price – and not a cheap one
- Pay more attention to messages that have good content. It
usually shows that person is really interested in you and has taken time
write a message to you.
- Don’t get desperate. If you haven’t been successful in even
chatting with someone online, let alone meeting anyone, stay calm and do
others. Someone will establish communication with you eventually.
- Don’t give up on websites that may not have
any members in
your local area. New members join free dating sites every day so you
your chance if you delete your account with them. Remember, finding the
right person online can take time just as it can offline.
- Help promote the better free dating sites
out there by
contributing to their forum if they have one or spreading the word
around. The more traffic a good free
dating site can get, the faster it grows and the more people you have to
from. Also, let friends and colleagues know if you come across a free
that you think is really good.
- And lastly, remember that free dating sites are not there to 'guaranty' that you'll meet anyone. Nobody can do that but you. It all depends on how well you present yourself and how good a communicator you are. Make an effort, and you'll get somewhere.